Tips To Help Subside Headaches
Everybody always starts an article with the #1 reason to (insert whatever here) but not me, nope I am going with the # 3 reason why people come to see me - your Raleigh chiropractor. You see this condition is all too common and people are so happy when I can help them relieve this problem. In fact, this issue results in over 157 million days per year lost from work and a societal cost of over $50 billion. What’s #3? Headaches.
Overcoming Headaches in Raleigh NC
Epidemiological studies report that 5% of adults suffer from headaches on a daily basis; and approximately 7 million adults report suffering from headaches every other day. That is a lot of headaches. So naturally there have been a gazillion studies on treatments for relief from head pain.
In a 2010 study in The Spine Journal (the primary orthopedic journal) a randomized controlled trial was done to determine the effectiveness of spinal manipulation (fancy word for the adjustment I perform) in the relief of cervicogenic headaches (these are your typical headaches often associated with stress and tension where the neck is out of alignment and pinches the nerves going into the head). The study found adjustments are one of the best ways to find relief from headaches. The treatment plans were between 8-16 visits over 8 weeks. The average patient who received care reduced their headache frequency by 50%!
While 50% improvement is a lot (imagine 3 headaches a week vs. daily) I think it is low considering what I see in clinical practice. The research was done just on the adjustment alone without any discussion of stretches and exercises like we give our patients. Also, no ergonomic advice was given or stress management advice was given. Not to mention advice on sleeping correctly or proper pillows. We work to correct the underlying problems that got the patient there in the first place, so I think we get even better results when you add these other factors in.
So a few quick tips if you suffer from headaches in addition to getting your spine adjusted at Ashforth Chiropractic Family Wellness Center in Raleigh.
- Drink more water - sounds so simple but you would be surprised how often people suffer from dehydration which can be a trigger for your headaches.
- Check your computer ergonomics - if you have to look down to your screen or up or right or left of center you are probably creating the spinal problem in the first place. Your eyebrows should be at the height of where your monitor screen starts and if you have dual monitors they need to be straight ahead of you not to the right or left.
- Perform this neck stretch to reduce suboccipital (base of your skull) tension. This is the area where a lot of the nerves from your neck come up the back of your skull. When compressed they can pinch the nerves.
- Push your chin straight back to stack your spine - think military attention
- From this stacked spine position, look straight down like you are trying to see a spot on your shirt near your collar bones, hold for 20 seconds and repeat 3 times.
If you or someone you know are having headaches, consider making chiropractic care your #1 choice for relief. Call Ashforth Chiropractic Family Wellness Center in Raleigh today!
|Monday||8:00am - 12:00pm|
|Wednesday||8:00am - 12:00pm|
3:00pm - 6:00pm
|Thursday||8:00am - 12:00pm|
|Friday||9:00am - 12:00pm|
Ashforth Chiropractic Family Wellness Center
6512 Six Forks Road #103
Raleigh, NC 27615